Security window bars and security bars on doors can provide several advantages for UK homes, garages, and outbuildings, and can improve home security by offering a robust solution and deterrent from criminals looking to break into your property.
Security bars can be installed on a DIY basis on windows or doors, and are usually installed on windows and doors where the window is large enough that if it is deliberately broken, will then offer access large enough for a person to climb through.
They are also commonly installed on windows which have an opening, where the opening if forced, is big enough for someone to climb through.
If you have windows or doors like this, anywhere in your property, and especially in areas that are hidden from public view, then window bars offer a good, cheap solution which will improve your home security arrangements hugely.
In this article, I will look in detail at home security window bars, door bars, look at the advantages and disadvantages of using security bars, look at where and where they cannot be installed, and then have a look at the best security window bars for homeowners in the UK, paying special attention to ones that can be installed by yourself.
Below is a handy table of contents. Clicking on any of the article headers below will jump you straight to the place on this page you are interested in. I am an Amazon Associate, and earn commissions on qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
Best Security Window Bars (UK Top 3) Quick Look
For convenience, I’ve listed the best security window bars in the table below, as well as a brief outline of key features. I’ll go through each product in detail further on down the page, as well as looking at the pros and cons of each.
(WINNER!) Avonstar Classic Window Bars
In first place, is the Avonstar Classic Window Bars.
These are the best security window bars you can buy and install yourself on your home.
Make no mistake about it, these window security bars are strong, heavy, durable and robust. They were much heavier than I was expecting for the price, which left me pleasantly surprised.
These bars are also well made and well engineered, and it’s clear that some considerable attention was given to the design of these bars, especially considering the clever way they have implememented the adjustable length, meaning you can make these bigger or smaller to fit your windows or doors.
These security bars will fit windows and doors with a minimum lenght of 71cm, and are extendable up to a miximum length of 120cm. You get a total of 6 bars in the pack, with all fixtures and fittings included.
What I also like is that they are supplied with anti tamper screws, which is essential if you are installing these on the outside of a window. Of course, if they were intsalled with a normal screw, a criminal has the potential ability to simply unsrew the screws and remove the bars.
No chance with these though.
While this will match a large percentage of windows and doors which are usually white, it would have been nice for optional colours to be avaialble, like grey, black and brown for instance. However, if needed, these can be sprayed a different colour quite easily, if you want to.
Overall, the Avonstar Window Security Bars provide a reliable and cost-effective solution for homeowners looking to increase the security of their property. With their sturdy construction, adjustable design, and , these security bars are a worthwhile investment for anyone looking to protect their home from potential break-ins.
So, if you’re looking for a practical and cost effective solution for your home security needs, the Avonstar bars are a worthy consideration, and I regard them as the best security window bars for your home that can easily be installed on most windows and doors with minimal fuss.
You can buy these security window bars at Amazon.co.uk here: Avonstar Window Bars
(2nd Place) Avonstar Decorative Security Bars
Coming a close second, are more window bars by Avonstar, this time with a more decorative and stylish feel.
And really, they are second only because they won’t suit all homes and styles, they are for windows only and are designed to be used inside only – you wouldn’t necessarily use these externally.
That being said, if you look at some of the customer pictures of these at the bottom of the page here, then you’ll see they do add some style and substance to a window area if this is the style you prefer, and they do feel and look less like a security product and more like a feature.
Again, these are well made, heavy and robust. They come in two parts, one of which slots into the other, enabling you to have a size range between 95cm to 125cm, although I note that some customers have successfully cut them down by using a saw to make them smaller.
These come with two colour options, white or black, which is a positive especially considering my only complaint in the Classic style in first place.
You can buy these security window bars at Amazon.co.uk here: Avonstar Decorative Window Bars
(3rd Place) Avonstar Window Grille
Wrapping up in third place, is Avonstar again, this time coming in with a grille type design making it a clean 1-2-3 sweep for this brand.
It comes in 3rd place because there is little flexibility in this product, as it does not extend or retract. That being said, it is made with a traditional window size in mind.
These security window bars are more suited to sheds, garages or outbuildings in my opinion, because they are not aesthetically pleasing in any sense of the meaning. However, they are going to do the job they were designed to do.
The measurements for this security grille are 79cm x 82cm, although they will work on smaller windows if you are prepared to have some overlap and you have suitable places on all sides to enable you to fit them to your window.
Overall, this a great window bar/grille at an extremely afforadable price, but the limiting factor here is the size, as there is no additional options of different sizes offered, which is a shame.
You can buy these security window bars at Amazon.co.uk here: Avonstar Security Grille Bar For Windows
Advantages Of Using DIY Security Bars On Windows And Doors
There are many advantages of using security window bars or door bars on your home.
Here are the advantages:
- Increased security: The primary advantage of window security bars is that they provide an additional layer of security for your property. They can help deter burglars and prevent break-ins.
- Improved safety: Security bars can also provide increased safety for your home, especially for ground floor windows or doors. They can prevent children or pets from accidentally falling out of open windows.
- Cost-effective: Security bars are a cost-effective way to improve the security of your property compared to more expensive security systems.
- Easy to install: Security bars are relatively easy to install and require minimal maintenance, making them a practical solution for homeowners.
- Versatile: Security bars can be installed on a range of doors and windows, including sliding doors and basement windows.
Disadvantages Of Using DIY Security Bars On Windows And Doors
Of course, before purchasing window bars or door bars, and installing them, it’s important to consider the following points, because there are downsides to using this type of security product.
- Restricted access: Security bars can limit and restrict access to your property in case of an emergency, such as a fire. Make sure there is a suitable alternative escape route, especially if the bars are being installed on an upstairs window, for instance.
- Aesthetic concerns: Some homeowners may find security bars to be unsightly and may not want to have them installed due to aesthetic concerns. They may not match the style or colour of your property (although they can be painted or spray painted before installation).
- Potential for corrosion: External security bars can be prone to corrosion if they are not made from the right materials or if they are exposed to harsh weather conditions.
- Difficult to clean: Depending on the design and placement of the security bars, they may be difficult to clean and maintain.
- DIY installation challenges: Installation of security bars may be challenging for certain types of windows or doors, especially f
or historic homes where aesthetics and architecture preservation is important.
- Potential damage. Installation may cause damage to fixtures and fittings surrounding your window or door.
Where Can I Use Window Bars?
You can use security window bars anywhere you want.
However, home security window bars are usually used in the following locations:
- Large windows where if broken, would grant access to a criminal to your home, shed, garage or outbuilding.
- Windows located on the ground level of your home.
- Windows on garages.
- Windows on sheds or outbuildings.
- Windows on a home that directly border public footpaths or roads.
- Windows at the side of a door.
- Windows in poorly lit, vulnerable areas.
- Windows on the 1st floor, easily accessible by a flat roof.
Security bars are usually not installed in the following places:
- Anywhere at the front of a house, due to aesthetics and looks, unless in a vulnerable area.
MUST READ Security Advice: Window bars
Even after installing the best security window bars on your home, there’s always room for improvement.
A single security solution is rarely enough to deter and protect your home from criminals and opportunist thieves, especially a security solution like window bars, because they are a last line of defence security solution.
What I mean when I say this, is a criminal is already in your back garden looking to break into your shed or garden, or a criminal is already stood next to a window in your garden.
In an ideal world, you want to stop them from even entering your property through a combination of deterrents – you don’t want them trying to get past the window bars in the first place.
I wrote an extensive article on 75 Ways To Improve Home Security some time ago, but it is still the most valuable and most visited article on this site, so if you haven’t already, make sure you go and have a good read through it. Don’t forget as well, i’ve also written specific articles for specific areas of your home, like 25 Ways to Improve Garage Security for instance.
In this article, I talk about the importance of visual references and deterrents that could mean the difference between a criminal targetting your home, or walking on by because they see security features all around your home.
Things like motion detection security lighting that will come on when someone enters your garden gate or driveway can sometimes be the difference between someone entering the perimeter of your home or not.
The list is endless, but it’s a list you should consider, because combining security measures, both physical secuirty measures and deterrent measures, will ultimately lead to a much more secure home for you and your family.
Window or door security bars will greatly improve the security of some of your most vulnerable windows and doors in and around your home.
These window bars and grilles are also cheap, and easy to fit yourself, s home.o it is a great additional security feature for your
However, as stated, they are not a standalone security measure. Even with the best window security bars on vulnerable windows and doors, it is not bulletproof.
And once again, I will leave the top 3 best security window bars table below for your convenience.
Other Articles You May Like
Here’s a small selection of articles you may also like from this site:
- – 75 Ways To Improve Home Security
- – Best Patio Door Handle Security Locks
- – How To Make Your Patio Door More Secure
- – Best Window Alarm Sensors (UK Top 3)
Here’s the complete list of products and links mentioned on this page.
- – Avonstar Classic Window Bars (Amazon.co.uk)
- – Avonstar Decorative Window Bars (Amazon.co.uk)
- – Avonstar Grille Security (Amazon.co.uk)
Here’s the sources used for this article:
Questions & Comments
If you have a question or a comment on this article on the best security window bars for your home, garage or shed, please use the comments box below.
I’ll try my best to reply to each and every one of your questions, comments and suggestions.
Stay Safe. Stay Secure.